The Carlos Alcaraz Garfia vs Frances Tiafoe fixture in the semi-final of the 2022 US Open will take place on Friday, 9 September 2022, starting at 11:00 p.m. GMT. The venue is Arthur Ashe, New York.
Latest odds on betting sites
Carlos Alcaraz Garfia is priced with the odds of 1.55 (-182 American; 11/20 Fractional) to win, which equals an approximate probability of 62%. Frances Tiafoe comes with the odds of 2.60 (+160; 8/5) to win this match. The chances of his victory are around 38%.
The latest odds for Carlos Alcaraz Garfia vs Frances Tiafoe (September 9):
- Over 39.5 games — 1.90 (-111; 9/10)
- Under 39.5 games — 2.00 (+100; 1/1)
- Asian handicap (+1.5) sets on Tiafoe — 1.75 (-133; 3/4)
- Asian handicap (-1.5) sets on Alcaraz Garfia — 2.05 (+105; 21/20)
- Asian handicap (+2.5) games on Tiafoe — 2.05 (+105; 21/20)
- Asian handicap (-2.5) games on Alcaraz Garfia — 1.85 (-117; 17/20)
Match preview and statistics
Carlos Alcaraz Garfia beat Jannis Sinner (6-3, 6-7, 6-7, 7-5, 6-3) in the previous stage.
Carlos Alcaraz won the first two games in the first set to receive a fast two-game lead, but Jannis instantly leveled the score. In spite of this, Carlos Alcaraz Garfia won four games in a row after a 2-3 score to win the first set.
Jannik Sinner reached a 40-15 score in the third game of the second set and converted the second break point. After a 3-5 score, Alcaraz Garfia won three games in a row and reached a 40-0 score in the fourth, but did not convert four set balls. He was defeated in tie-breaks with a 7-9 score.
In the third set, Alcaraz Garfia received a lead by winning three games in a row after a 1-2 score. However, Jannik Sinner came back and leveled the score. In tie-breaks, the Italian tennis player did not leave his rival a chance and finished it with a 7-0 score.
Sinner reached a 40-0 score and converted the third break point in the first game of the first set. After a 3-5 score, Carlos Alcaraz Garfia won four games in a row to win this set.
The tennis players traded winning their service games to a 2-2 score. Sinner converted one out of two break points to win the fifth game, but his rival won all remaining games to qualify for the next stage.
Carlos Alcaraz Garfia has won the last two matches in five sets. He is priced with the odds of 5.10 (+410; 41/10) to win over Tiafoe with a 3-2 score.
Frances Tiafoe eliminated Andrey Rublev (7-6, 7-6, 6-4) in the quarter-final.
In the first set, the tennis players were approximately equal. Tiafoe received three break points, whereas Rublev a single one, but they did not convert anyone. In tie-breaks, Rublev made a lot of simple mistakes and Tiafoe easily converted the second out of four set points.
They traded winning their service games and did not give each other break point opportunities in all games of the second set. However, Frances Tiafoe absolutely destroyed his rival in tie-breaks.
In the third game of the third set, the American tennis player reached a 40-15 score, but Rublev saved all break points. Frances Tiafoe won three games in a row after a 2-3 score to receive a two-game lead and kept it to win the set with a 6-4 score.
A total of under 3.5 sets has played out in four out of five matches in the 2022 US Open with Frances Tiafoe participating. The same total comes with the odds of 2.55 (+155; 31/20).
Carlos Alcaraz Garfia vs Frances Tiafoe H2H
Frances Tiafoe had a close match against Carlos Alcaraz Garfia (6-4, 7-6) in the 1/32 finals of the 2021 ATP Barcelona. In the first set he reached a 5-1 score. Alcaraz Garfia tried to come back, but Tiafoe converted one out of five set-points. In the second set, the tennis players were approximately equal, but Tiafoe was stronger in tie-breaks and finished it with a 7-2 score.
Prediction and betting tips
Frances Tiafoe feels good in his home tournament. He eliminated Diego Schwartzman, Rafael Nadal and Andrey Rublev. Also, he has lost only one set in five matches of the 2022 US Open. Also, Frances Tiafoe has won over Alcaraz Garfia in all H2H matches with a 2-0 score. Chances of his victory look greater than bookmakers think.
Carlos Alcaraz Garfia has won three rivals out from the top 30 ATP Ranking with a 3-0 score, but was close to being eliminated by Marin Cilic and Jannis Sinner in the last two matches. Of course, he lost two sets in the last match in tie-breaks, but he should come back in all his won sets by winning four games in each. That was not a play of the confident favorite. I believe that Frances Tiafoe is able to stop Alcaraz Garfia in this semi-final and extend his streak of winning H2H matches.
Betting prediction: Frances Tiafoe to win
Odds: 2.60 (+160 American; 8/5 Fractional)