Pittsburgh Penguins vs Calgary Flames prediction and betting tips (November 23)
The Calgary Flames have won the last three H2H matches against the Pittsburgh Penguins. Will they defeat the Penguins this time to extend this streak?
Sidney Crosby is the seventh-best forward in the 2022-23 NHL
Sidney Crosby is the seventh-best forward in the 2022-23 NHL

The Pittsburgh Penguins vs Calgary Flames fixture in the 2022-23 NHL will take place on Thursday, October 23 2022, starting at 7:00 p.m. ET. The kickoff time is 11:00 p.m. by GMT this day. The venue is PPG Paints Arena, Pittsburgh.

Latest odds on betting sites

The Pittsburgh Penguins are priced with the odds of 2.25 (+125 American; 5/4 Fractional) to win the next match full-time, which equals an approximate probability of 42%. The Calgary Flames come with the odds of 2.55 (+155; 31/20) to take two points before the overtime. The chances of this outcome are approximately equal to 38%. Finally, the draw comes with the odds of 4.50 (+350; 7/2), which equals an approximate probability of 20%.

The latest odds for Pittsburgh Penguins vs Calgary Flames (21 November 2022):

  • Over 6.5 goals — 2.15 (+115; 23/20)
  • Under 6.5 goals — 1.80 (-125; 4/5)
  • Asian handicap (-1.5) on Penguins — 2.90 (+190; 19/10)
  • Asian handicap (+1.5) on Flames — 1.45 (-222; 9/20)

Match preview and statistics

The Pittsburgh Penguins do not have any injured players now and will show their most robust roster. Evgeni Malkin played his 1000th fixture in the last game against the Blackhawks. He finished this match with one goal and a 0 impact index. Sidney Crosby was the first star, with one goal and three assists.

Casey DeSmith and Tristan Jarry have conceded 2.88 and 3.27 goals per match, respectively, but I expect to see Tristan Jarry in the starting lineup. He has a greater win rate this season and is a brick wall for the Flames. He has conceded only two goals in the last two matches against the Calgary Flames. Also, Tristan Jarry completed 32 saves in the penultimate game to face the 12th shutout in his career and the first for the Penguins this season.

Overall, we expect to see a passive play by the Penguins because their playstyle in three out of the last four won matches against the Flames was based on counterattacks and defence. Evgeni Malkin will build their offensive line. These two attackers shine in the first decade of the season, with 27 and 20 points, respectively.

A total of over 6.5 goals has played out in four of the last five H2H matches, with the Penguins participating. The exact total comes with odds of 2.15 (+115; 23/20) in this game.

The Calgary Flames had many problems at the start of the season. They had a streak of seven losses but broke it. The Flames have won four of the last five matches and were defeated only by Tampa, which played at home arena.

Michael Stone and Oliver Kylington will not play this time. Both players are defensemen, making the Flames' defence much weaker this time. Also, Michael Stone was an essential part of his team's counterattacks in the last fixture against the Pittsburgh Penguins, finishing it with a +3 impact index. He made three shots with one on target and ripped a gino for his team.

Also, Nazem Kadri disappoints in the Flames' roster after such a successful season in the Avalanche. He successfully finished only eight out of 55 shots in 18 games of the 2022-23 season. Kadri has received 15 points, but his impact index equals -7.

A total of over 64.5 shots on target has played out in nine of the last 10 H2H matches. The exact results come with the odds of 2.05 (+105; 21/20) this time.

Pittsburgh Penguins vs Calgary Flames H2H

The Calgary Flames smashed the Penguins (4-1) in the last H2H match. They showed a confident attack with 36 shots on target. Nazem Kadri was the game's first star, with two goals and one assist. Evgeni Malkin scored a single goal for his team by converting a power play opportunity.

Lineups and key players

Pittsburgh Penguins projected starting lineup:

  • Tristan Jarry
  • Brian Dumoulin
  • Kris Letang
  • Evgeni Malkin
  • Sidney Crosby
  • Drake Caggiula

Sidney Crosby is the seventh-best forward in the 2022-23 NHL. He has scored ten goals and has made 17 assists this season.

Calgary Flames projected starting lineup:

  • Jacob Markstrom
  • Rasmus Andersson
  • Nikita Zadorov
  • Tyler Toffoli
  • Nazem Kadri
  • Elias Lindholm

Nazem Kadri was the first star in the last H2H game against the Penguins. Also, he is the best goalscorer for the Calgary Flames this season.

Prediction and betting tips

The Calgary Flames have won four of the last six head-to-head games against the Pittsburgh Penguins and four of the previous five matches. Also, they face a shutout in the last guest fixture against the Penguins.

Despite these results, the Calgary Flames are not as strong as Mike Sullivan's men. Nazem Kadri and Elias Lindholm, who might be stars of the roster, are the 85th and 76th best forwards in the season, which is a terrible result. Also, Michael Stone and Oliver Kylington are injured, which will weaken the defence in this game, whereas the Penguins have no injured players. Therefore, I believe that the Flames will be defeated this time despite their recent results.

Betting prediction: Pittsburgh Penguins to win

Odds: 2.25 (+125 American; 5/4 Fractions)

Ice HockeyNHL. Round 19
Pittsburgh Penguins — Calgary Flames
Pittsburgh Penguins to win
Post your tip!
Win cash in the Takebet free tipster competition every month. Learn more
Join community: sign up to comment or log in!

No one has commented yet.
Share your thoughts!