- Huge jackpots daily and weekly
- Solid choice of events and bets
- Lite site and app
- Average odds
- No welcome bonus in Tanzania
- Lacking customer care
A new big gun of Africa: review of Betika
As a sport betting site online, Betika is primarily aimed at Kenya, but also operates in Tanzania and a few other countries across Africa. In our Betika review, Takebet Tanzania covers all crucial questions about the bookie: their betting odds and markets, payments and bonuses, the mobile site and the application, credibility and more. Understand how to join Betika as a customer, bet live and prematch, withdraw money and deposit!
By the way, have you heard of their daily jackpot bonus games? Once this sports betting company has showcased a millionaire, who gained a whooping 1,266,386 KES (25.87m TZS) in jackpots on Betika in 2018. Want to learn more? Let’s get started!
Company info: who owns Betika, licenses and more
Launched back in 2016, Betika is an online betting firm originally from Kenya. This sports betting site also services players from Tanzania, Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia and DR Congo. Betika supports English as well as Kiswahili and Amharic for the Ethiopian audience. In Tanzania, this online bookmaker is regulated by the Gaming Board (GBT).
Frequently people ask who owns Betika in Tanzania: the company name is Paladin and Associates Limited Company at Derm Plaza 5th Floor, P.O Box 31513 Dar es Salaam address.
Between July 2018 and June 2019, the firm survived the government’s controversial new 20% tax on a betting turnover, thus becoming the most popular betting website in Kenya which has retained its legit bookmaker license.
The official address of this sports betting website in Tanzania is Betika.co.tz.
|Deposit options||M-PESA, Airtel Money, Tigo Pesa, HaloPesa, cash (betting shop)|
|Withdrawal options||M-PESA, Airtel Money, Tigo Pesa, HaloPesa, cash (betting shop)|
|Sports||Football, tennis, basketball, ice hockey, baseball, volleyball, MMA (UFC), cricket, rugby, American football, table tennis, eSports and more|
Reputation of bookmaker
The bookmaker had international football star Ronaldinho among its brand ambassadors. In November 2021, this company partnered with the most distinguished football clubs of Ghana and the whole Africa, Asante Kotoko, in a deal worth 1.3 million GHS (23.93 million KES). In 2020, the online betting site Betika extended a sponsorship deal with a football club Sofapaka, based in Nairobi, Kenya. The bookie remains active in offering equipment to Kenyan football teams and investing in the local sports.
Joining Betika: online and offline account creation
There are couple ways of how to register Betika profile of your own:
- SMS registration (for Tanzania). Sign up even when offline with a mobile phone. Type in “REGISTER” and send this message to 15316. Once the sign up is complete, you will receive an SMS with a confirmation of the registration.
- USSD registration (for Tanzania). Dial *149*16# to get registered via USSD: once the registration is done, you will receive a confirmation SMS from 15316.
- Registration online in Betika with a mobile phone number. Head to the Betika online sports betting site and tap on the REGISTER button. The registration form will appear with blank fields to fill. Enter your phone number and create a password. Once you receive a verification code, type it in to finish the sign up.
- App registration. The sign up process with Betika mobile application is essentially the same as with the betting site: fill out a form to get a profile.
Completing login in Betika Tanzania to enter account
When signing up is done and dusted, every customer has to log in to the bookie in order to place bets. This is easily done via their website.
Here is how to complete Betika account login in Tanzania:
- Access betika.co.tz.
- Tap the LOGIN link at the top of the website.
- Enter your registered phone number and the password.
- Hit LOGIN to access your account!
Steps to complete account confirmation
You get identified as an existing client with your mobile number after you have created a Betika account. To access your profile, type in your phone number and the password.
Afterwards, you may have to confirm your identity and address. This is one of the mandatory steps before one can withdraw money: no payout may be allowed by the bookmaker until you confirm you are over 18 years old and have credible personal data. A copy of your ID document may be asked as well as some other papers.
Recap of bonuses and promotional offers in Betika
Both new and existing customers should know how to use a bonus on Betika, because both groups are eligible for promotions. Promotions include such offers as a modest registration free bet for new customers on the betting site and in the app, a deposit bonus and more — promos are changing, so check the bookie before enrolling.
The basic bonuses of Betika are described below.
Note: betting offers are temporary and subject to change.
According to the terms and conditions, one can get a free bet from Betika in Tanzania just for registering with the bookie. The amount is not specified. However, we haven’t received a bonus upon registration at the time of writing, so we can’t confirm the offer. An identity verification procedure may be imposed before you get or use this bonus.
People often ask if they can withdraw a bonus on Betika, and the answer is “no”. It can only be used for betting with the odds of 9.99 or higher in Tanzania.
Cash bet bonus
There is a Betika cash bonus for the first bet of the day. You should place a wager of minimum 500 TZS, and for this you get 250 TZS. Only the first cash bet qualifies. Moreover, the odds for the qualifying bet should be equal to 4.99 or more.
Contact the support to learn if you are eligible for this promotion.
Cha Juu Boost
This betting offer from Betika Tanzania grants you up to 100% of your bet winnings as a bonus. When the promotion is ongoing, there is a selection of football matches to wager on. One can gamble on the first and the last goal, the outcome of 10-minute periods, the highest scoring half and the goal range. Bets should have odds from 9.99 to 200.00.
The minimum stake for Cha Juu Boost is 100 TZS. The maximum possible gross winnings, including the gains from the promotion, are equal to 30,000,000 TZS. Voided selections, both in singles and accumulators, are excluded from this promotion.
The percentage of the bonus you get depends on the odds you are betting with.
|200.00 and over||100%|
There are two types of referral promotions on Betika: a classic bonus for an invited friend and a bet share promotion. At the time of writing, neither of them is offered for Tanzania, while one or the other is active on the Kenyan and Nigerian versions.
Be sure to check with the support of Tanzanian Betika if there is currently a bonus.
Betika points: earning and using
There is a loyalty program in place, which is called “Betika Points”. You get promo points for betting on sports — bigger bets earn you more points. Read on to learn how to redeem Betika bonus points after getting them.
The formula for calculating points is as follows: (Stake X Odds) / 100.
To check the balance of Betika points, access your online account.
You can either use bonus points for betting on the daily jackpot or redeem them.
Banking options to pay and get paid
Betika has a selection of payment methods differing by country.
In Tanzania, there are numerous options of how you can deposit and how to go about withdrawals from Betika: M-PESA, Airtel Money, Tigo Pesa, HaloPesa and bet shops.
Betika lets you create an account with the currency that depends on your country. For Tanzania, the national currency — Tanzanian shilling (TZS) — is chosen automatically.
Coverage of all Betika deposit options
In order to deposit in Betika via mobile money, utilize the phone number you have used to register. All four payment providers are available for Tanzanian deposits.
How to deposit via Airtel Money on Betika in Tanzania:
- Ring *150*60# for the Airtel Money menu.
- Pick “Make payments” (number 5).
- Pick “Enter Business number” (number 4).
- Input the “545454” business number.
- Input the amount to pay.
- Input your mobile number registered with the bookie as the reference and then confirm.
How to pay via MPESA to Betika Tanzania:
- Ring *150*00# for the M-PESA menu.
- Pick “Payment by M-Pesa” (number 4).
- Pick “Pay companies” (number 4).
- Input “545454” as the deposit pay bill.
- Input the registered phone number from Betika.
- Fill in the sum of money to send and confirm the payment.
How to deposit via Tigo Pesa in Tanzania:
- Ring *150*01# for the Tigo Pesa menu.
- Pick “Payment” (number 4).
- Pick “Pay companies” (number 3).
- Choose 2 in “Enter Business Number”.
- Input the deposit pay bill equal to “545454”.
- Input your registration mobile number from Betika as the reference.
- Input the amount to pay and confirm it.
How to pay via HaloPesa in Tanzania:
- Ring *150*88# for the HaloPesa menu.
- Pick “Pay bills” (number 4).
- Pick “Enter Business number” (number 3).
- Input the “545454” business number.
- Input your mobile number registered with Betika as the reference.
- Enter the amount to deposit and validate the transaction.
Another way of how to deposit is online. Just tap on the DEPOSIT button after logging into your account, state the sum of money and confirm the transaction. Also, you are able to deposit via USSD while offline by dialing *149*16# in Tanzania. Furthermore, you can visit a Betika betting shop and deposit over-the-counter.
The deposit charges on Betika are virtually absent for MPESA, Airtel, Tigo Pesa and HaloPesa, however you may be charged for SMS received when depositing. The minimum deposit on Betika is 100 TZS and the maximum limit is dependent on the payment system used and is not limited by the bookie.
|Method||Min limit||Max limit||Time||Charges|
|M-PESA||100 TZS||No limit||Instant||Trans. fee|
|Airtel Money||100 TZS||No limit||Instant||Trans. fee|
|Tigo Pesa||100 TZS||No limit||Instant||Trans. fee|
|HaloPesa||100 TZS||No limit||Instant||Trans. fee|
|Bet shop||100 TZS||No limit||Instant||Free|
How money withdrawals work on Betika
The withdrawal of funds from Betika can be done via the same mobile money wallets in Tanzania as the deposit.
How to withdraw money to M-PESA, Airtel, Tigo Pasa or HaloPesa on Betika Tanzania:
- Log in to your account.
- Tap on the WITHDRAW link.
- Select the amount you wish to withdraw.
- Proceed to withdrawal by tapping on the WITHDRAW button.
The minimum withdrawal amount equals 500 TZS on Betika Tanzania. The limit for maximum withdrawal is 500,000 TZS for a single payout — while in the betting shops, the maximum amount to withdraw is 3,000,000 TZS. The withdrawal charges may be incurred and are dependent on the amount of money you withdraw.
Note that mobile payouts are possible only from 12 am to 6 am.
If you have encountered a withdrawal problem, contact the support of Betika.
|Method||Min limit||Max limit||Time||Charges|
|M-PESA||500 TZS||500k TZS||Instant||Vary|
|Airtel Money||500 TZS||500k TZS||Instant||Vary|
|Tigo Pesa||500 TZS||500k TZS||Instant||Vary|
|HaloPesa||500 TZS||500k TZS||Instant||Vary|
|Bet shop||500 TZS||3m TZS||Instant||Vary|
There are over 20 sports for betting predictions, covering major football leagues as well as small tournaments and everything in between. The bookie has a strong focus on football and provides over 100 betting markets with hundreds of bets. The amount of markets for a prediction today is not that big in less popular tournaments, but is still enough to enjoy your betting. Betika odds are average with margins around 4-8%.
The minimum stake on Betika equals 100 TZS for a single bet as well as an accumulator, as it is clearly stated in the bet slip of the bookie. The actual maximum stake is 50,000 TZS at the time of writing this Betika review, while 2,000,000 TZS for prematch and bonus bets alongside 1,000,000 TZS for live wagers are the amounts stated in their T&C.
Mind that if you place bets at night or if you place live bets, the maximum may be lower.
The maximum payout in Betika Tanzania for wagers is as follows:
- Single and accumulator — 1,000,000 TZS on the site, 30,000,000 TZS in T&C
- Total maximum per day — 30,000,000 TZS in T&C
On top of that, in Kenya, Ghana and Tanzania Betika offers virtual betting products. Tanzanian customers can play the Super League, which includes virtual football leagues of England, Germany, Italy and Spain, also Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) and Euros. All are randomized and offered with correct score, over under goals, 1x2, double chance, Asian handicap, GG/NG (both teams to score), combinations of these betting markets and smaller options.
Asides from football betting virtuals, the SuperLeague includes virtual horse racing, greyhound racing, speedway racing and motorbike racing.
Now, before we go any further, here is how to bet on Betika and win for a newbie:
- Bet on sports and tournaments you understand perfectly. Study your favourite sport or a few from A to Z. Forget that other sports exist when on a betting website. In-depth knowledge of statistics, facts and personalities will boost your chances of winning.
- Make use of a money management strategy. Never go all in — place 1-3% of your bank each time. The total amount available to you must be restricted. Set yourself limits for each month to control your online sports betting on Betika.
- Learn all about betting odds, margins and probabilities. Getting more from bookmakers takes study: understand how probabilities of events translate into odds, how margins change these odds, and how you can find odds that are undervalued to bet on them and win eventually.
Placing your first bet online on Betika
The process of placing a bet on Betika needs no “how to” really, being quite straightforward. However, we have described it for all you newcomers below.
Here is how you make your first bet online:
- Access your betting account on the site or in the app.
- Pick the desired sport or select “Live”.
- Tap on the match of your choice.
- Select the option you wish to wager on and tap on the odds of this bet.
- Enter the amount of money in a bet slip and confirm your wager.
To make a multiple bet, combine two or more single selections. At this bookie, selections will be combined for you automatically in the slip.
Another option is to use Betika bet online ID search (e.g. the "Load Betslip" feature). Just type in a booking code on the website and place the related betting pick.
SMS betting in Tanzania
On Betika Tanzania, one can place single and accumulator bets on football by sending an SMS message:
- Get current football odds. Send an SMS with BETIKA to 15316 to get a list of games with ID and 1x2 odds. Send another SMS to receive more games.
- Place a single SMS bet. Use the following combination: GAMEID#PICK#AMOUNT. For example, you want to bet 1000 TZS on a draw (pick “X”) in the Chelsea vs Man Utd match, which has an ID number of 789. You send an SMS to 15316 with the following combination: 789#X#1000.
- Place a multibet (accumulator) via SMS. Use the following combination: GAMEID#PICK#GAMEID#PICK#AMOUNT. For example, you want to add another selection to the previous bet on the Chelsea vs Man Utd. The second selection is an over 2.5 goals bet on the Real Madrid vs Barcelona match, which has an ID of 987. The money amount is still 1000 TZS. You send an SMS to 15316 with the following combination: 789#X#987#ov25#1000.
- Bet on a jackpot via SMS. Use the following combination: JP#PICK1PICK2PICK3...PICK12. As for picks, 1 stands for a home win, X stands for a draw and 2 stands for an away win. Example: JP#12X2X112X112.
There is a way of how to bet using SMS on Betika on other odds on top of the standard 1x2. To make SMS bets, name codes for picks are what you need to know:
- 1x2: home win — 1, draw — X, away win — 2.
- Double chance: home or away win — DC12, home win or draw — DC1X, draw or away win — DCX2.
- Both teams to score: to score — GG, not to score — NG.
- Over/under (0.5 / 1.5 / 2.5 / 3.5 / 4.5 / 5.5): under 2.5 goals — un25, over 2.5 goals — ov25 (change the number according to the chosen total for other options).
- Half time/full time: home win/draw — htft1X, home win/away win — htft12, away win/draw — htft2X (change the 1x2 combinations for other options).
- Correct score (full time): 1-2 — ftcs12, 2-0 — ftcs20, 0-0 — ftcs00 (change the combination of two numbers according to the chosen score for other options).
- Draw no bet: home win — DNB1, away win — DNB2.
- First half: home win — HT1, away win — HT2.
- First half — Both teams to score: to score — HTGG, not to score — HTNG.
Types of bets and betting markets offered
You will find many betting markets in the live bet and prematch sections of Betika.
Here are some of the football markets:
- Full time result (1x2)
- Double chance
- Draw no bet
- First half betting
- European handicaps
- Over under goal totals
- Both teams to score
- Correct scores
- Cards and corners betting
- Combined bets, multi goals and more
As for the choosing options in those markets, for example, over under goal total includes options like 0.5, 1.5, 2.5, 3.5, 4.5, 5.5. You will also find prop bets on Betika: wagering on a certain goalscorer during a football game or on aces of a tennis player.
We have noticed that Betika only misses out on Asian handicaps, e.g. Manchester United (+1.5) or English national football team (-2.5), which are popular overseas.
Nevertheless, the bookmaker provides a wide enough coverage of betting options, and not only in football, but also in basketball, tennis and other sports popular among bettors.
Watafunga and steps of using it
Betika offers a superb feature called Watafunga, which lets you combine different betting markets from the same match into one bet.
You can bet that a particular footballer will score and that both teams will score, in one bet. All that in the same game of football — something like a one-game accumulator!
There are few limitations though: you can’t bet less than 100 TZS, and there may be a maximum payout in place. You can’t add less than two and more than 30 selections.
How to place a bet in the “Watafunga!” section on Betika:
- Access your betting account and enter the “Watafunga!” section from the menu.
- Choose among betting options on offer by tapping on the betting odds.
- Check the “Watafunga!” tab for your selections.
- Enter the amount you are willing to bet and confirm.
What are the sports and competitions to bet on?
There are over 20 different sports available for predictions here:
- Ice hockey
- MMA (UFC)
- American football
- Table tennis
To see the tournaments on offer, tap on any sport. In the “Soccer” section, you will see such top leagues as the English Premier League, Spanish La Liga, Italian Serie A, German Bundesliga as well as the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League. This list extends to other leagues down to second and third-level divisions, including such competitions as England League Two and National League.
While researching tennis, we have seen events from the ATP and WTA Tours, as well as ITF tournaments among men and women. If you take a look at basketball, Betika will please you with NBA and WNBA matches, Liga ACB, NBL and Supercoppa tournaments among others. You can make your prediction on friendly games.
In the eSports section, disciplines such as the League of Legends, CS:GO, Dota 2 and Overwatch are on display with many options of tournaments to wager on.
Note: mentioned above are sporting events that were available on this platform at the time of writing. So it is quite possible that Betika may offer even more action now.
This online betting company offers sporting events with average odds, which are still competitive in the big picture. We have researched the odds at Betika: top football leagues come with margins of 1.5-3%, top basketball has 5-6,5%, top tennis — 6-8%.
Below is the table with calculated odds margins for the 1x2 betting market in some fixtures of football, basketball and tennis (both three-way and two-way ones).
|Football||Premier League||Leeds vs Fulham||1.65||4.20||5.80||1.66%|
|Football||Italian Serie A||Verona vs Roma||4.00||3.80||1.95||2.60%|
|Football||La Liga||Villarreal vs Eibar||1.64||4.20||6.00||1.45%|
|Basketball||NBA||Miami vs Boston||2.30||15.00||1.78||6.32%|
|Basketball||Euroleague||Ostrow vs Rosa||1.15||21.00||5.80||8.96%|
|Tennis||ATP||Shapovalov vs Dimitrov||1.88||-||1.88||6.38%|
|Tennis||ITF Men||Baez vs Forejtek||2.25||-||1.54||9.38%|
Live bet section
There is an option of wagering on in-play events provided by Betika to its customers. That’s how you keep track of what is going on in the game and bet at the same time.
In order to see Betika live bet events, head to the top navigation bar, find the "Live Games" tab and tap on it. You will find in-play games organized by sport. After tapping on any event, you can review its betting markets and match statistics.
Live betting odds on Betika are updated quickly, with red and green arrows indicating up and down movements. The maximum stake in Betika for live bets can be as high as for prematch ones, though in practice expect lower maximums for in-play.
In the live betting mode, you can wager on a big scope of markets, starting with 1x2, over under goals and European handicaps, and finishing with corners and cards.
Playing jackpot on Betika Tanzania
When it comes to Betika jackpots, this betting site is quite superb.
In Tanzania, Betika offers two types of jackpot games:
- Daily Kitonga Deile Jackpot. Wager 250 TZS in cash or bonuses to have a shot at predicting eight matches which can cut you a share of the 1,000,000 TZS prize fund. You will need to guess 1x2 outcomes. Those who correctly guess seven out of eight outcomes get 10,000 TZS each, and 1,000 TZS for six out of eight legs.
- Kitonga Supa jackpot predictions. Bet 500 TZS in cash or bonuses to have a shot at the prize pool of 10,000,000 TZS. There are 10 sporting events to guess each draw. This Betika JP may be shut down at times.
Getting Betika Tanzania app for iPhone and Android in 2022
Betika offers both Android and iPhone mobile apps. Go straight to their website at the app.betika.co.tz address to download Betika app for Android. The iPhone application is available in the App Store in Tanzania.
Follow these steps In order to download the Android app:
- Go to app.betika.co.tz.
- Tap on PAKUA HAPA.
- Download the Betika .APK file, install it and open up.
The interface of the apps is straightforward to use. There is a bottom menu, where you can swap between “Home”, “Live”, “My Bets” and “Profile” tabs. On the first screen, you will find the list of sports with corresponding upcoming and live fixtures. Use the search in the top right corner if you want to pick an exact league or team to bet on.
When tapping on PROFILE, you will be redirected to the section where you can deposit in Betika, withdraw funds, check your bet history and personal details. There is also the “Personal Promotions” section which includes current bonuses for registered customers.
User experience of desktop website and mobile site
This company supports all possible browsers and mobile phones with their adaptive website for desktop and mobile. Sadly, it is still a common occurrence for bettors from Africa to have limited internet access. Betika has a lite mobile site version for such cases as well as a promotion which lets you browse the site on mobile at no cost.
On the new desktop website, all sports are located on the left side of any webpage. If you are using a lite website version, when you tap on any sport — you’ll see a menu with countries and tournaments, with the former containing all competitions on offer. On the full website version, tapping on a sport will make all games appear at the page center.
All the top leagues and events are shown first. After tapping on any of the events, you will find the betting markets and the odds. Tap on the odds of the bet you fancy placing so that your prediction appears in a bet slip. Put in an amount and bet!
An even easier way to do all this is on the Betika mobile betting site. User experience is about putting main components in handy reach for easier usage. At the top of the mobile website, you will find a choice of popular sports and their chief betting products on offer, which can be Virtuals and Betika League, jackpots, the bet constructor and more. From there you can also get to the app download and install section.
Highlighted top matches are shown first, but you can change them to all upcoming events or browse sports by country. Then, you can also filter matches by their starting time and the day of the week as well as by the very betting market you are betting on.
Our impression is slick enough: the website of Betika is lightweight and functional.
Online support service in Tanzania
“How can I communicate with Betika”, you ask? There are several ways to do it.
There is the WhatsApp support team you can contact at 0657 788 888.
You can email the Betika help center at email@example.com.
You can as well get in touch with the bookmaker by calling 0659 070 700 in Tanzania.
5 things about Betika you should know before betting
Betika is proud of changing people’s lives thanks to betting. But exactly how?
- In 2018, the 35-year-old man, Japheth Kilelu Shako, correctly predicted 15 games in the Midweek Jackpot earning 1,266,386 KES (25.87m TZS). He has increased his bet up to 100,000 times, and this has changed his life dramatically, he says.
- The firm offers a lite version of the website for users with limited internet access.
- The bookmaker has opened various programmes as part of their response to the Covid-19 pandemic in Kenya. They have allocated 27m KES (550.85m TZS) for healthcare workers, sportsmen and women, students and regular Kenyans in various ways.
- The bookie was third by a monthly amount of declared bets (1.45b KES or 29.58b TZS) in Kenya as of May 2019, according to the leaked BCLB declarations, right before Sportpesa (19.598b KES or 399.836b TZS) and Betin (5.932b KES or 121.02b TZS) exited the market due to the taxation.
- The sportsbook has survived Kenyan controversial new government tax of 20% on betting turnover as of 2019, becoming the biggest legal bookie in Kenya at the time.
Betika has numerous advantages, including a wide choice of sporting events and betting markets. This bookmaker is among African leaders from the point of view of immersive prizes they offer to the jackpot winners, and their jackpots are many.
Betika offers bonuses, usually two or three in parallel.
When it comes to making deposits in Betika and withdrawing funds, this betting company offers numerous instant mobile payments to their customers in Tanzania.
The welcome bonus of Betika is low when compared to their international competitors, and on top of that we couldn’t get it when registering with their Tanzanian betting site.
There is said to be a welcome bonus, but we haven’t been given it upon registration.
Their betting odds are quite average too. The live section of this online bookmaker may not be so impressive when it comes to the diversity of events they offer. And while Betika provides livestreaming of sporting events in some countries of operation, though with limited choosing options, there are no streams in Tanzania at the time of writing.
Feedback on the betting site
Being one of the African market leaders, Betika may not be the number one choice for a Tanzanian who fancies a wager.
However, if you are up for a change, this bookie is certainly worth a try. Its choice of events and betting markets is superb, jackpots are outstanding and the platform is great in itself with its SMS and USSD functionality, lite website and apps for both Android and iOS.
The palette of bonuses here is small compared to international bookies from overseas, but there is a modest welcome bonus and the points loyalty programme!
Overall, Takebet had a solid impression of Betika in Tanzania.